David Walker - Adventures in Large Scale Data Orchestration
Please join us on Friday 16th morning for a fantastic walk through of a large scale data orchestration by David Walker describing the rainy Saturday afternoon in Vancouver where they achieved the most accurate electronic molecular structure computation of PFAS bond breaking to date with quantum chemistry calculations that peaked at more than one million virtual CPUs.
We will begin with a quick introduction to Northeastern University's Vancouver campus by Dominik Beckers.
- 8:45 In-person networking, coffee, and muffin at Deloitte's Learning Centre
- 9:00 DAMA chapter announcements
- 9:10 Dominik Beckers of Northeastern University - NEU in Vancouver
- 9:30 David Walker of SandboxAQ on Adventures in Data Orchestration - The day we used a Million AWS Machines in a massively parallel quantum and AI implementation of a molecular discovery platform - see abstract below.
- 10:30ish Questions and discussions, coffee refill, networking
- Draw for a $50 Amazon Gift Card for in-person attendees only.
- Draws for signed copies of Joe Reis' book "Fundamentals of Data Engineering" AND Barr Moses' book "Data Quality Fundamentals" (limited to in-person attendees).
Abstract: Adventures in Large Scale Data Orchestration
David will talk about the background and story of his team's record breaking implementation of the first quantum chemistry calculation utilizing more than one million virtual CPUs. More details coming in the next update:
- accelerating the molecular design and discovery processes
- massively scalable cloud-based quantum / AI chemistry platform
- implementing a highly parallelizable quantum chemistry method
- data orchestration lessons learned
Biography: David Walker
David Walker is an accomplished Engineer / Architect working as a Senior Staff Software Engineer for SandboxAQ, an AI and Quantum (AQ) spin out from Alphabet Inc. He comes to SandboxAQ through their January 2024 acquisition of Good Chemistry, a Vancouver start up specialised in using artificial intelligence, quantum and other technologies to accelerate drug discovery and materials design.
Before that David was Principal Data Engineer at Gordon Food Service, where he spearheaded the development of a modern data platform, utilising lambda and subsequently kappa architectures to provide data driven insights to the organization.
David holds an M.Sc. in Theoretical Physics and Applied Mathematics, and a B.Sc. in Mathematical Science. David resides in Vancouver, BC originally hailing from Dublin, Ireland.
Abstract: NEU helping power & scale Canada’s economy
Dominik will give a brief overview of how Northeastern University is helping power and scale Canada’s economy with future-ready, diverse talent it needs through experience-powered, industry-immersed graduate programs as well as research innovation in advanced tech and data.
The Vancouver Campus in the Deloitte Summit Building provides a nimble and focused approach and all the advantages of a tight-knit campus community while being powered by a global campus network within an R-1 research university and a 100+ year track record of experiential learning expertise.
With growing advanced tech and data research underway, the campus community is strongly focused not just on student success during the program, but more importantly on industry collaboration outcomes, innovative partnerships and providing talent on demand.
Biography: Dominik Beckers
As the Director of Strategic Partnerships for the Vancouver campus, Dominik builds relationships with local industry and community partners to plan and deliver talent pipelines and experiential learning opportunities. He also oversees the account management of various industry and community partners that are embedded in the downtown campus.
Dominik is committed to ensuring that Northeastern University Vancouver is part of the local ecosystems and that partnerships with all stakeholders including industry, government and alumni are outcome-based and will benefit partners and students alike.
About our location:
- Deloitte Summit Building (architecture)
- Follow lobby signage to the 23rd floor
- Capacity - up to 140 people
- Location - Deloitte Summit Building at 410 West Georgia, Vancouver - great view!
- Please join us early for networking while enjoying the coffee, muffins, and croissants.
Premium Membership gives you access to the Recording, Slide deck, and Supporting Materials from each event. These are typically posted a week after the event.
DAMA-Vancouver 2024 Events - Mark Your Calendars:
- Please send in topics/vendors/paradigms you would like to see!
- Feb 16: David Walker - Adventures in Large Scale Data Orchestration AND Dominik Beckers - Northeastern University
- Feb 21: CDMP 14 week peer supported study group using Learning Management System (Thinkific) - open for registration until March 20th.
- Mar 15: Sarah Marshall - DG Journey at BC Lottery Corporation AND Cathy Zhang - Perspectives on Government Mandated Data Governance. We are planning on tagging on a quick genesis meeting for a Data Governance - Special Interest Group.
- Apr 19?: TBA
- May 17: CittaBase Solutions
- Jun 14: Joe Reis AND Chad Sanderson (Premium Member Event)
- Sep 20?: TBA
- Oct 18?: TBA
- Nov 20 or Dec 5?: TBA possibly the 3rd Annual DAMA Days Canada Conf
- Dec 13?: Holiday season get together (Premium Member Event)